Developed & delivered a complete 8-hour course on Requirements Management for the New York Times Company. Here’s the project steps I took for an end-to-end solution:
- Learn client’s proprietary SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) process
- Apply my knowledge of RUP and client’s SDLC to develop a set of learning objectives for client approval
- Develop 6 hours of courseware
- Teach course to employees in 4 cities, modifying the course to the background & interests at each location
In 2004 I implemented an innovative, sophisticated website system for Queen of Angels Catholic Parish in Chicago, IL. The strategy uses an emerging technology—the TypePad hosted weblog solution—to deliver 20 separate websites at various URLs with over 30 content managers. This strategy is relevant for any large organization with lots of people and a wide variety of missions (to coin a term).
- Created a large, 300-page website that is easy to maintain
- Designed and rolled out training to dozens of content contributors, many of whom didn’t even have an email account when the project started
- Conceived of this mildly chaotic, trust-based content management system that gives the right to publish directly into the hands of the people who have the content
- The site is published in both English and Spanish when available
- Different designs for different URLs
- All in one $15/ month tool
With just a little bit of imagination, it’s not hard to see how the structure of this site—a centrally maintained main site with n number of subsites that surround it—can be applied to the corporate structure.
Like any other self-respecting internet consultant who worked in the late 90s and early 2000’s, I have a whole portfolio full of startup website clients who made a go of it and never really got off the ground. Here’s my list:
Invida Outcomes Network
Idea: Community of people with various conditions who participate in and report on new drug treatments.
Now: domain name on sale for $7,940
Idea: Sports-theme games community so people can choose their favorite team’s logo/ avatar while playing games online.
Now: DNS error
Idea: Community website based on matching clients with Application Service Providers. Or,
in the alternative, community website for developers interested in ASP technology.
Now: search ad farm
Idea: CRM + Project management. From archive.org:
IntraBlocks creates persistent, dependent e-business relationships between professional service providers and their clients, with significant benefits to both. With it, service companies can differentiate themselves in the market, acquire clients more efficiently, serve them more effectively, and re-engage them more frequently.
Now: search ad farm; domain for sale.
Now: CRM ad farm
Buy & sell content to media organizations, publishers, and consumers.
Now: seeq search engine ad farm for bullets
Developed the requirements, led the design process, and managed the project for this Driver Safetry Course for MetLife and the National Safety Council. The system has the following characteristics: