- Ported their news content management system over to TypePad to take advantage of RSS, community, and SEO features
- Easier to maintain, archive, and tag articles
- Newsletter fits perfectly into the existing brand and site architecture
Created a one-page follow-up to extensive training materials for teachers who have yet to make the most of their TypePad publishing system.
I’ve found that as time passes after training, the people who did not immediately start publishing need a spark. The 24-page, customized publishing manual is of little use to people who forgot their password.This short, breezy page helps people get re-engaged with their websites.
Created website for northern Indiana engineering and surveying firm.
- Client’s existing promotional video placed on homepage inside Flash
- News section based on TypePad, allowing client to easily update the site and leading to improved search engine optimization
- Trained client on how to update website
- Project included copywriting
Created a simple, quick website for a friend and a great artist, Andy Kane Art.
- Site is built on WordPress and uses the Hemingway theme. Using flexible, feature-filled WordPress themes allows you to stand on the shoulders of giants and still make custom sites that meet specific needs
- Uses the WordPress Contact Form plugin– very simple to configure, but places in-line styles on every site page. Great for a quickie site like this
- Installed the FAlbum WordPress plugin, which uses the Flickr API to deliver images from a specific set in my Flickr account. The result are easy-to-update photo albums that are embedded into the main website but served offsite.
- Encourages people who’ve purchased art from Andy Kane to upload to Flickr and tag with “andykane“– using free, offsite tools to develop community, build interest, and increase search engine optimization
- Uses a free TypePad weblog to publish Andy’s poetry book, American Radio Waves. TypePad design mimics color, font, and other styles of the main site w/o needing a new WordPress install. The right tool for the right job
Created a complete website system for the Catherine Cook School in Chicago. Includes:
- Over 50 teacher websites based on the TypePad weblog content management system.
- All of the teacher sites run off of the same template, which reduces admin maintenance while assuring that each website has the CCS website look & feel
- Teacher sites allow for customization at the blog level– teachers are able to put in the own header, subhead, “my links”, categories, and so on
- RSS feeds automatically served by FeedBurner, making it easy for parents to understand RSS and subscribe through various services
- Installed and configured the Moodle Learning Management System with the school’s look & feel
- Set up Google Calendar so that everyone can keep up with the many events from Pre-K to 12
- Created OPML file of feeds for all teacher sites for easy importing into RSS readers so that parents, teachers, and administrators can keep up with the whole school
It was an interesting project for a number of reasons:
- We use the TypePad hosted weblog solution (2 separate accounts) to manage 20 High School teacher websites, 11 High School Sport Sites, 20 Elementary School Teacher Sites, and 6 Preschool Sites
- We publish the “Subscribe via My Yahoo!” button for each teacher site and really try to get parents to understand the advantages of RSS
- I created three separate training course (High School Administrators,High School Teachers, and Elementary/ Preschool teachers) and trainedover 80 people on the system
- I made great use of Advanced Templates to make site administrationeasy over time. For instance, I have one template drive the content foreach of the major subsites (i.e. one for the High School sports, onefor Elementary School teachers, etc.)
- The teachers are all really keeping their own sites up to date withthe normal assignments and classroom updates. Some are taking extrasteps in linking to further learning material with complex animations, adding images, and using their weblog as a tool for unveiling the learning as time goes by.
- Sport sites are able to keep everyone up to date with the most recent scores,
- Parish site is next
Today I helped launch the Ravenswood Lake View Historical Association website. I setup TypePad, trained editors on how to use it, and modified the design templates.
Development and training on website development using the TypePad Weblog Content Management system already installed and ready for further use. This includes the creation of sites for all teacher classrooms and all approved parent, teacher, and student organizations. Also includes development, launch and consultation on the Moodle open source learning management system.Deliverables:Websites/ Weblogs• Complete design and set-up of up to three separate templates for different site types (classroom, parent, sport, for example) in consultation with client• Develop and configure all websites• Develop custom training materials for all site authors• Up to 5 training sessions with up to 20 people per sessionMoodle Learning Management System• Consultation with designated client contact re: goals and objectives• Review Moodle configuration options• Run through the Moodle installation & configuration process with designated client contact• Ongoing consultation, optimization, and researchWeb-Based Calendar System• Consultation with designated client contact re: calendar goals and objectives• Source and configure suitable calendar tool
This is my most well-trafficked website, and it generates some (not alot) of revenue via Google AdSense, the eBay Affiliate Program, and & Amazon Associates. The best thing about it is that I’ve become adept at configuring many of the tools available in these programs.The site also serves as a rudimentary tracker for the market for Wesley Willis art, as I track all Wesley Willis items on eBay using their Favorite Search and “Watch This Item” features. This way, people can track the market through time and price their work appropriately.